Operating Authority

Written by Nick Webster

Published on Aug. 15, 2022, 8:44 p.m.

Operating Authority

Our organization's the number one third-party provider of operating authority in the US. We have a simple mission. It is to provide DOT and FMCSA authority to every driver and business. This way, our customers can maintain compliance with the state and federal government. Please read below to learn many answers to questions about trucking authority. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact our company.

Frequently Asked Questions: Operating Authority

The information below addresses many common motor carrier registration questions. As a result, you can understand FMCSA and DOT requirements for your business. We also encourage you to browse our website. It features more information on authority registrations and permits. Once again, do not hesitate to call us if you have any questions. We’re standing by to help you operate vehicles in a legal manner.

Who Must Get a US DOT Number?

Almost every company operating commercial vehicles needs to secure a US DOT number. The number applies to vehicles hauling cargo or transporting passengers. These actions take place through interstate commerce. Even many commercial intrastate vehicles have to use DOT numbers. A number also applies to almost any hazardous materials carrier with placarding. Most states enforce all commercial vehicle registrants to secure a USDOT number. Please contact us if you need a state-by-state list of FMCSA regulations. Our experts can get a DOT number on your behalf at any moment.

What Are the Types of Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) Authority?

There are many different types of operating authority in the United States. These types get issued through the FMCSA. The FMCSA refers to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Here are some common authority types that the FMCSA provides. First, there is Motor Common Carrier of Property except Household Goods. Now, say that you're operating as a contract carrier. That means you need a Motor Contract Carrier of Property except Household Goods. Many US common carriers secure Motor Common Carrier of Household Goods authority. Meanwhile, contract carriers get Motor Contract Carrier of Household Goods authority.

Say that you intend to work as a broker in the trucking industry. There are two types of FMCSA broker authority. First, there is the Broker of Property except Household Goods. Otherwise, a broker will need Broker of Household Goods FMCSA authority. Do you intend to start operating as a freight forwarder? If so, the FMCSA can provide you with official Freight Forwarder Authority. Now, let’s say that you need operating authority to transport passengers. The FMCSA will grant you Motor Passenger Carrier Authority. As you can see, there are many different types of operating authorities. Please contact us now to receive a complete FMCSA authority list. Visit How to Prepare for a Compliance DOT Audit.

Why Is My Business Getting Billed for Different Operating Authorities?

Say that your company’s getting billed for having more than a single operating authority. If so, it’s not an accident by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). The agency enforces companies to apply for each authority on a separate basis. This means that a business has to pay a separate filing fee for each authority. Your company cannot begin operating until it secures each FMCSA authority. Check out DOT Authority Package .

How Long Does It Take To Get FMCSA Operating Authority?

Let’s say that your trucking business files all its forms and documents with the FMCSA. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration will take its time. You can expect to wait about three to four weeks. Then, the FMCSA will allow you to create a new authority for operating.

Why Must I File the BOC-3?

Motor carriers are not the only business entity that needs to file a BOC-3. Even brokers and freight forwarders have to take care of BOC-3 registration. BOC-3 refers to the Designation of Agent for Service of Process. This filing must go on record with the FMCSA. Otherwise, the FMCSA will not grant your business with operating authority. Once it does, you have to maintain active status for operating with authority.

Can I Check the Unified Carrier Registration Filing Status?

Yes. Here is how to check the current filing status of UCR: Unified Carrier Registration. First, access the FMCSA SAFER website. That is where you can enter your DOT number or freight forwarder number. In some cases, you will need to provide an MC number. Then, the SAFER website will tell you if your UCR registration has active status.Visit on link MCS-150 Update.

What Is IRP (the International Registration Plan)?

IRP stands for the International Registration Plan of the FMCSA. It is a transportation registration agreement between 48 US states. The point of IRP is to divide registration and licensing fees in a fair manner. IRP fees get based on the number of miles a vehicle’s operating in each jurisdiction.

How Do I Know if I Must Get Registered for IRP?

Here is who becomes affected by IRP authority policies, per the FMCSA. First, your vehicle has to transport property or passengers. It must do this in at least two jurisdictions. Next, the registered gross vehicle weight of your vehicle must exceed 26,000 pounds. This IRP weight policy also applies to an actual weight or combination weight. IRP also applies to any vehicle that has power units with at least three axles. The policy goes into effect no matter how much a vehicle weighs when operating.

What Gets Included in the IRP Individual Vehicle Distance Record?

This is how the IRP Individual Vehicle Distance Record policy works. Knowing this information will help you meet official IRP requirements. As a result, you can maintain authority for operating in a state. First, each carrier holds responsibility for ensuring IRP drivers fill out IVDRs. IVDR stands for Individual Vehicle Distance Records. Every IRP-registered vehicle in a fleet must maintain completed IVDRs.

Here is the IRP authority information that goes in an IVDR record. Begin by stating the starting and ending date of your trip. Then, write down the destination and trip origin. The driver must provide a name and a signature before operating. Next, the driver will list the total trip distance. This includes information about distance by jurisdiction for authority. A driver will then provide an odometer reading. Then, he or she will list the routes traveled while operating. The registrant must provide a name, fleet number, and VIN or unit number. FMCSA authorities will also need a plate number of the driver operating the vehicle.

Set Up a Household Goods Arbitration Program

Are you or your company planning on securing authority to transport household goods? If so, your business must have an arbitration program in place. We recommend going toMoving Authorityfor help setting up a program. Our organization has worked with theMoving Authority Associationfor years. In that time, their arbitration program benefited thousands of our clients. In fact, having a program can help your company have FMCSA authority for operating. Please browse the officialMoving Authority websiteto learn more information.

We’re Standing By To Help You Receive Operating Authority

The FMCSAregistration.com team’s here to help you receive full DOT compliance. We know that the terms of FMCSA motor authority appear confusing. That’s why we extend our services to every carrier in the US. Our mission is for carriers to secure authority through first-rate DOT registration. In fact, we can even work with the DOT’s Clearinghouse to assist businesses. That's a reason why we’re number one when it comes to authority for operating. No matter what type of goods you transport, you can count on our services. Say that you're moving hazmat materials instead of a household good. That's no problem. Our experts won't rest until the DOT provides you with the authority for operating. You know about DOT SAP Program registration requirements?

Our FMCSA Authority Services Get Results

If you need authority through the FMCSA, you can count on our third-party services. We specialize in all types of authority registration for carriers across the US. Plus, we can also take care of all FMCSA safety and operating registration. Through a large number of registration programs, you're in safe hands with us. Our experts can provide your carrier with authority/safety resources at any moment. Also, we can check to ensure all types of carriers have active authority for operating. How to Obtain your MC NUMBER.

The FMCSA cares about carrier safety. But so do we. That's why we’re here to help you with all motor carrier operating authority needs. From getting a USDOT number to filing safety administration documents. There's no limit to what our federal motor authority registration team can do. Of transportation resources, no other FMCSA registration service can compare. We’re prepared to get your business registered with any US department of authority. Not to mention, we can provide your carrier with an MC number of authority. Say goodbye to the days of feeling confused about FMCSA safety authority. Instead, welcome to a future of operating using world-class registration resources. We cannot wait to complete safety and authority registration for your business.

Questions About Operating Authority? Contact Us Today

Our organization is ready to answer all your questions about operating authority. Please give us a call right now to speak with a customer service representative. Within minutes, we can assess your unique carrier information and find solutions. As a result, you can maintain motor carrier compliance with the DOT and FMCSA. We look forward to serving as your go-to registration service for operating authority. Check out Driver Qualification Files.