DOT Regulations for Car Haulers

Written by Nick Webster

Published on Feb. 27, 2023, 3:02 a.m.

DOT Regulations for Car Haulers

Here are some of the most important DOT (US Department of Transportation) regulations for car haulers:

  • Car haulers must adhere to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's (FMCSA) standards for vehicles and drivers.

  • U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) requires all car haulers to carry a minimum of $750,000 in liability insurance coverage.

  • All vehicle operators must have valid CDL licenses issued by their state DMV, and they must pass annual medical exams to maintain this license status.

  • Drivers should get restful sleep prior to hauling any vehicles, as DOT requires that they do not exceed 11 hours behind the wheel in one day. During the workweek, total drive time cannot exceed 60 hours either.

Please continue reading to learn more DOT and FMCSA regulations that affect US car haulers. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact our organization. Visit DOT Regulations.

What Are the Height and Weight DOT Regulations for Car Haulers?

The Department of Transportation, or DOT, has strict height and weight regulations that all car haulers must abide by. These regulations are necessary in order to ensure the safety of drivers and other motorists while on the road. That said, it's important for car haulers to know exactly what these regulations entail.

The maximum width limit is 8.5 feet, the minimum clearance for a vehicle overhang is 4 inches, and the maximum overall length for a vehicle loaded onto a trailer is 50 feet. As far as weight goes, the total gross load cannot exceed 80,000 pounds with no single axle carrying more than 20,000 pounds. Read here about Starting a Trucking Company Correctly

Do Car Haulers Need Insurance?

The carrier someone chooses for shipping a vehicle must have auto transport insurance coverage. This is to ensure that the vehicle is properly protected in case of any mishaps during the shipping process. What is DOT SAP Program?

Car haulers need a variety of different insurance policies to protect their business. This includes commercial vehicle liability, cargo coverage, non-trucking liability and physical damage insurance for the trailer and truck. Commercial vehicle liability provides protection against any property damage or bodily injury resulting from an accident while a driver is operating their rig on behalf of the company. How To Request the DOT PIN Number?

Cargo coverage protects cargo while in transit; this can be especially important when transporting expensive items or luxury goods. Non-trucking liability covers accidents that occur while a driver is using his/her personal auto in connection with work but not carrying freight at the time of the incident. Finally, physical damage insurance covers repairs to both the tractor and trailer in case of an accident or other type of damage. Visit on link Full Motor Carrier Authority.

How Many Cars Can Fit on a Hauler?

For standard auto transport services, the average hauling truck can typically fit between 5 and 9 cars. However, this number may vary based on the size and weight of each car – with a DOT-regulated overall weight capacity of 80,000 pounds. So while there may be room for another vehicle on the hauler, it is likely that it will need to be transported separately. Must visit FMCSA Hours of Service Suspended topics.

Does a Car Hauler Need To Have a CDL?

If you’re looking to become a commercial driver, start by registering in the state where you reside. You'll need to pass a written permit test to prove your knowledge, get a Commercial Driver Learner Permit and hold it for a certain period of time before moving on to a physical driving test. Once these steps have been completed, you'll be ready to hit the road as an official commercial driver! Must visit the website link.

Depending on what kind of car hauling you're doing, a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) may not be necessary. CDLs are designed for drivers of heavy, oblong commercial vehicles, and certain trailers such as two or three-car wedges can fit below the weight requirement rules set by CDL regulations. It's important to note that the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) and Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) of your truck and trailer will provide the most accurate information about whether a CDL is required or not – so make sure you know these numbers before beginning your journey! How to get Oregon Trip And Fuel Permit?

While CDLs come in many classifications, Car Haulers need not worry about any classes or endorsements outside of a Class A CDL. Class A is the heaviest class of CDL, and thus the best fit for car haulers. Visit DOT Authority Package, Tips to prepare for 2023 DOT Week filings in minutes.

What Is a Class A CDL?

If you want to haul a combination of vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) that is 26,001 pounds or more, then you need to have a Class A CDL. That includes towed vehicles whose Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) exceeds 10,000 pounds. This license opens up the possibility for hauling cars in trailers as long as 50 feet and even up to seven or nine car trailers. Get your Class A CDL today and hit the road! Also, take a look at Drug and Alcohol Program policy.

Can I Secure a CDL Without Attending Truck Driving School?

If you've been looking into truck driving school, you might have noticed that it isn't cheap. A class here, a semester there — the cost can add up quickly and reach around $3,000. It's understandable to be concerned about affording the necessary training. Fortunately, there are various options available to help alleviate this financial burden. What is DOT Clearinghouse Enforcement?

You do not need to attend a trucking school in order to get your CDL permit or take the physical driving test in most states. However, it's important to note that taking these tests without any prior knowledge is not advisable. Having some background information and practice can make you more prepared for the actual tests. It is highly recommended that you invest time into researching and understanding the content of each test before attempting them. Doing so will improve your chances of success and help you maximize the value of your investment by passing both tests on the first try! Importance of The FMCSA 30-Minute Break Rule.

What Should I Do Before Taking My CDL Permit Test?

To apply for a CDL, you'll need to get the necessary forms from your state's Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). This includes a valid federal Medical Examiner's Certificate Form (MEC) MCSA-5875 as well as an application form specific to your state. You may also need to study your state's Commercial Driver License Manual and take the written permit test at the DMV in order to be eligible for a CDL. With all these steps, you can start down the path towards becoming a commercial driver! Read about Texas DOT Number and USDOT Number.

What Happens Once I Get a Permit?

Before you can get behind the wheel of a tractor-trailer combination, it's important to determine what type of rig best fits your needs. Once you know, find a CDL trainer or an experienced car hauler who can mentor you as you prepare for your CDL test. During the required practice period in between earning your permit and taking the test, be sure to become acquainted with every function and button on your truck, tractor and trailer – this knowledge will serve you well when driving on the road. With adequate preparation, you'll soon be ready to take the wheel and hit the open highway! Learn here How to Prepare for a Compliance DOT Audit.

DOT Regulations Related to Personal Goods & Vehicle Weight

Per federal regulations, it's important to stay within the allowable weight limit when loading cargo onto a transport vessel. The maximum amount of weight depends on the number of axles present. To determine the total weight of your load, simply add up the estimated weights of each vehicle being transported. Staying within legal limits can help ensure safe and successful journeys!

It's important to note that the weight of your vehicle is an estimate based on its make and model. This estimated figure takes into account the factory-standard weight of a given vehicle and then adds around 100lbs for extra items such as cargo, fuel or passenger weight. Your vehicle won't be weighed before it's picked up - the estimated weight is there to give you a general idea. Also visit the website link.

Drivers are required to stop at designated weigh stations along their route to ensure that the weight of their vehicle and its cargo is within legal limits. If the driver is found to be in violation, they will incur penalties which could potentially be passed on to you. To avoid any unnecessary fees, it's important to make sure your load meets all regulations before hitting the road. Check out The Basics of Farm Exemptions. You will then have the ability to maintain complete motor carrier authority or broker.

Requirements About the Height of Vehicles

If you have a vehicle that is taller than 7 feet, it may require special transportation. Depending on the type of vehicle, it will need to be shipped on a designated carrier that can accommodate its height. Standard carriers are not able to transport vehicles over this restriction. Therefore, please ensure that your vehicle meets these requirements before making arrangements for transport. Also visit the website link.

We've seen too many transporters not paying attention to this rule. This can easily lead to delays in pickups, and leave drivers unhappy. Some companies take advantage of the situation by withholding deposits. To prevent these kinds of issues from happening, you should stay vigilant and keep an eye on your carrier's compliance with the rules. What are the Top 3 DOT paper appointed Violations?

Driver Hours & Transport Times

When it comes to cross-country vehicle transportation, drivers are regulated by federal law to only drive a certain amount of hours each day. This means that coast to coast transport typically takes approximately 7-10 days due to the legal requirements of interstate commerce. Fortunately, these regulations are in place to ensure safe and timely delivery of vehicles across the country. You will need driver qualification files filed out by all employees that drive for you working. Also, take a look at What Is IRP or Apportioned Registration.

Key Points About Car Hauler Regulations of the DOT

Please keep the following car hauling regulations in mind as you register with the DOT. Remember, our organization can take care of all your DOT registration needs. We encourage you to browse our website or give us a call to secure the compliance filings that you will need to haul cars.

  • Car haulers that operate across state lines need to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and the Department of Transportation (DOT).

  • FMCSA registration is needed for a car hauler to obtain an operating authority.

  • The DOT requires drivers to get a USDOT number and fill out biennial updates to keep their license active.

  • Additionally, drivers must also obtain liability insurance in order to legally transport vehicles.

  • Operators of commercial vehicle fleets must comply with strict regulations from the FMCSA, including hours of service requirements and vehicle maintenance standards.

  • They must also ensure they are following all applicable laws in each state they enter while on duty.