Motor Carrier Search DOT Driver/Files Broker Authority DOT Authority Plates Licensing Products

Semi Truck License Plates

Written by

Published on Dec. 11, 2023, 2:10 p.m.


This article explores the basics of semi-truck license plates. As a result, you can understand which plates you need for your commercial vehicle. Of course, securing plates for a truck or trailer is a crucial process. The key is to ensure you're getting the right type of plate registration for your truck. Let’s begin by reviewing the main plate forms that you and your carrier could need. If you have questions about any of the information, please get in touch with our organization.

The Two Main Types of Commercial License Plates

Two types of license plates exist for commercial trucks across the United States. They are apportioned plates and base plates. Any truck with a GVWR above 10,001 pounds must have one or the other. Say that you never plan to operate your truck outside of your state. In that case, all you need is a base plate. There is a simple registration process to secure base plates. It’s not that different than registering a personal vehicle. Have a look at Motor Carrier Authority. Now, say that you intend to operate your semi truck in more than one state. This means that you're going to take part in “interstate commerce.” As a result, your registration falls under IRP through the FMCSA. It stands for the International Registration Plan. Though IRP, you must complete apportioned registration. Then, you can receive apportioned plates for your truck. Starting a Trucking Company Package.

IRP (Apportioned Registration)

Here's a brief definition of IRP. It’s an agreement between US states and provinces within Canada. Say that you register your commercial semi-truck. You must pay fees related to each state where you've operated. A fee amount gets calculated based on mile percentage per state. We encourage you to check out our IRP web pages and video. They feature crucial information about registering for IRP. This way, you can secure apportioned plates with ease. What is IRP?

How Do I Receive Apportioned Plates for My Truck?

Say that you realize you're in need of apportioned plates for your commercial truck. You must set up an IRP account in your home state through the FMCSA. During the setup process, you will need to fill out certain applications. Plus, you'll have to provide proof of residency to the government. Then, you can file your documentation. This can include an emissions certificate and a copy of your 2290. Next, the FMCSA will allow you to pay the registration fee for IRP apportioned plates.

This process can vary from state to state. It’s best to contact your base state on a direct basis. This way, you can make sure that you have the right forms to fill out. Plus, you'll want to check which documents to file. Otherwise, you risk failing to meet state requirements. Some states will allow you to download each form on their websites. For additional programs, check out MCS-150. Then, you'll have everything ready to go when you arrive at the state office. Keep in mind that our organization can get you registered for IRP. This way, you won't have to worry about confusing FMCSA and state paperwork. Instead, our experts can take care of it. We’ll work at lightning speed until you receive apportioned plates for your semi. Once again, please browse our IRP web page. It features key information to help you secure your apportioned plates. Visit BOC-3.

The Definition of Semi Truck

Did you know that the full term for a semi-truck is a semi-trailer truck? That's because this style of the truck gets divided into two components. There's the semi-trailer and the tractor of the truck. Every semi-trailer only features a self-support system via its rear wheels. Meanwhile, the tractor pulls the unsupported part of the trucking system. A semi-truck has many nicknames all across the United States. From big rigs to eighteen-wheelers to semis to tractor-trailers or lorries. Of course, almost all semi-trucks weigh many pounds. That's why tons of interstate truckers need IRP registration. This way, they can secure apportioned plates from the FMCSA. Read here about Starting a Trucking Company Correctly.

License Plates in Trucking

Trucking is not the most simple and easy business in the world. After all, it’s an industry that's very regulated by both the DOT and FMCSA. That's why so many government requirements exist when it comes to licensing plates. Sometimes securing a license plate for a truck is a complicated process. Sure, there are many federal regulations. But license plate registration also varies by state. That's why you must pay attention to the trucking laws in your base state. Visit DOT Authority Package, Tips to prepare for 2022 DOT Week filings in minutes.

Say that you perform interstate commerce activities in your truck. This means that you're operating in more than one state. As a result, you must complete UCR registration. UCR stands for the FMCSA’s Unified Carrier Registration. It’s a system that often seems complicated even to seasoned trucking professionals. But do not despair. Our third-party organization can take care of your entire UCR registration. This way, your carrier will have the authority to pursue getting apportioned plates. How to get Oregon Trip And Fuel Permit?

UCR: Unified Carrier Registration

So, who needs to apply for UCR via the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration? It’s for carriers operating on an interstate or international basis. In fact, FMCSA UCR registration is for even more than trucking businesses. Freight forwarders, leasers, and brokers must also register with UCR. Say that you decide to operate your semi without proper UCR registration. The government could detain your vehicle on an instant basis. Also, you could receive major fines depending on the state you're in. As you can see, UCR registration matters. Read about Texas DOT Numbers and USDOT Numbers. You must complete it before you can get a license plate for your semi-truck.

Does My Truck Qualify for Apportioned Registration?

IFTA Sticker Registration steps. Not every single form of truck crossing state lines must have apportioned registration. But almost all interstate commercial trucks need it through IRP. Say that you own a commercial vehicle with two axles. The vehicle has a gross vehicle weight/registered gross weight above 26,000 pounds. This means you must complete apportioned plate registration. Now, let's say that your vehicle weighs under 26,000 pounds. But it has at least three axles. Once again, you have to register for IRP to receive apportioned license plates. Here is another example of a semi-truck that needs apportioned plates. Say that you use the truck in combination with a trailer. Plus, this combination goes over 26,000 pounds as gross weight. That means you need to complete your IRP registration. Now, let’s say that the gross weight goes under 26,000 pounds. Even then, you still have the option of registering for apportioned plates. Many truckers decide to register because it makes future FMCSA filings easy. Check out The Basics of Farm Exemptions. You will then have the ability to maintain complete motor carrier authority or broker.

Why Do Some Semis Have Two Plates?

You might have noticed that some semi trucks on the road have two license plates. This refers to “dual registration.” That is when two states have unique weight restrictions on trucks.

We Can Secure License Plates for You & Your Carrier

The registration team’s standing by to help. We’re prepared to file IRP registration on your behalf. This way, you can secure apportioned license plates with ease. Our team’s prepared to get in contact with your local IRP office. We know how to register apportioned plates in every state in the country. To get started, all you've got to do is give us a phone call. Or, you can order apportioned plate registration right here on our website. You will need driver qualification files filed out by all employees that drive for you working. Also, take a look at What Is IRP or Apportioned Registration.

The first step we’ll take is to register for IRP through your base jurisdiction. The exact registration process varies within every state. Then, we’ll create a customized system to knock out all apportioned requirements. In most cases, we must provide proof of an established place of business within a state. Then, our experts can submit your DOT number and MC number.

Next, the government will ask for a copy of your IFTA application. (IFTA stands for the International Fuel Tax Agreement.) We can then provide proof of your truck insurance. Then, the FMCSA should give us Schedule A/E and Schedule B forms to file. Then, before you know it, you'll have apportioned license plates for your semi-truck. Get FMCSA Trucking Authority, MC Number. Check out the basics of MC Number Insurance Requirements.

Call Us if You Have Questions About Semi Truck Plates

Please give our organization a Phone Call if you have any questions. We’re standing by to provide you with fast license plate registration solutions. Our organization’s helped thousands of semi-truck drivers secure new plates. We won't rest until you have plates for interstate travel. When it comes to plate registration, you can count on us. Our experts look forward to assisting you. Contact us today for UCR filing.
Related tags
Explore Filing Options

Let's Talk